Many of the emails and questions I get about eating gluten free comes from those new to gluten free. Those that are struggling with the first few months of eating gluten free. I think we all remember those months of struggling to find food that is safe to eat.
So over the next few months I plan to share some simple dinner ideas that just happen to be gluten free. It is the type of food I serve my family and friends. It is food that everyone can love and will probably never think twice about being gluten free.
Today we are starting macaroni and cheese.Macaroni and cheese is one of those classic comfort type foods that many people miss when going gluten free.
The box of mac and cheese from the store is no longer possible. That homemade baked macaroni and cheese like your mom and grandmother used to make, may also be out because many macaroni and cheese recipes contain flour in the sauce.
My recipe though is thick and creamy and is gluten free. There is no flour in this recipe. It is a simple stove top recipe that can be made in no time. Your kids will love this. And the only special ingredient is the gluten free pasta.
- 3 cups uncooked gluten free macaroni noodles
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to directions.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Add evaporated milk and salt and whisk well.
- When pasta is done, drain and place back into the pan. Add butter and stir until butter is melted and pasta is coated.
- Add egg milk mixture and cheese to pasta. Cook on low for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and creamy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 658mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.