Fluffy cornmeal pancakes are a delicious breakfast for any day of the week!
The cookbook is The Complete Cook’s Country TV Show Cookbook Season 8: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show. Yes, that is a very long title, but this is also a very big cookbook that covers a lot of information.
It is also kind of expensive for a cookbook, but it is also 564 pages. Which is a pretty good size for a cookbook.
I have tried a few recipes from the book and can’t wait to try more.
One of the first recipes that caught my attention in the book was this recipe for fluffy cornmeal pancakes. I loved the fact that the pancakes contained cornmeal because it made them a little bit more filling than your basic pancake.
I also knew they would be easy to adapt to gluten free because I could use gluten free cornmeal and since they only contained 3/4 cup of flour, I knew a gluten free blend would work fine.
So today I am sharing the original recipe and made notes how I made them gluten free.
If you are looking for a new pancake recipe, or a new breakfast for dinner idea, these pancakes are delicious!
- 1¾ cup buttermilk
- 1¼ cups cornmeal ( I used gluten free cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup flour ( I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gf blend)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- In a microwave safe bowl whisk together 1¼ cups buttermilk, cornmeal, and butter.
- Cover and microwave about 60 seconds or until slightly thickened around the edges. Stir and microwave 30 seconds more if needed.
- Let sit covered for about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs and remaining ½ cup buttermilk.
- Whisk egg mixture into cornmeal mixture until well combined. Then add flour mixture and stir until well combined. It is a thick batter. Let sit about 5 minutes.
- Using about ¼ cup batter per pancake, cook pancakes on a heated griddle for about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve with butter, syrup, or desired pancake toppings.