A couple of weeks ago I had German Chowder on my menu plan. I had several of you ask about it and what it was, so I thought today would be a good time to post the recipe.
I have been making this recipe for years. It is not the healthiest of soup recipes, but it is really good. This recipe is adapted from a recipe in a slow cooker cookbook put out by West Bend . I think I have had this little cookbook for at least 15 years. It was one of the first cookbooks I had after getting married. I only owned a couple of cookbooks back then, so I used this cookbook a lot the first few years I was married.
My husband loves this soup. I used to make this when my husband was in dental school. It makes a big pot of soup, so I would make it and we would eat it for several days.
This soup has cabbage in it. I do not usually like cabbage, but my husband loves cabbage. I know it is good for you, so I try to cook it occasionally in the few dishes I like it in. This soup is one of the few recipes that contain cabbage that I will eat.
This is a good, hearty soup perfect for the fall and winter months. I like the fact that this is an easy recipe because it is a recipe for the crockpot. This only takes about 4 hrs to cook, so I can start this about lunch time and it is ready at dinner.
- 1 lb of kielbasa or polish type sausage (this is the fully cooked kind)cut into about ½ inch pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded or finely chopped (should be about 4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ½ ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half (you can use milk, but ½ and ½ is better)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Combine first six ingredients in a crock pot.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Then stir in half and half, evaporated milk, and swiss cheese.
- Stir and cook until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve and enjoy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 778mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.