I am not a big fan of cooked carrots. Even as a child I did not like cooked carrots. I love the taste of carrots, but cooked carrots have a mushy odd texture that I have never been a fan of. That is until I tried oven roasted carrots.
Roasting vegetables at a high oven temperature helps give them really good flavor and a nicer texture than just cooking or steaming them. My favorite way to cook asparagus is to roast it. In fact I prefer most of my vegetables roasted.
There are a lot of ways to roast vegetables and especially carrots. You can use butter or oil and a little salt and pepper. You can also give them an Asian flavor or even an herb flavor.
One of my favorites ways to roast carrots though is this recipe. It is simple and really good. This would be a great side dish for a holiday meal, but it is also perfect for any meal. We eat these anytime and my kids love them.
Glazed Oven Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into about 2 inch chunks and then cut in half length wise
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss carrots in butter, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet or rimmed pan and bake for about 10 minutes. Stir and cook for 5-7 minutes more. This may vary depending on the thickness of your carrots. You want them tender and darkened in color.
For more great recipes see Mouth Watering Mondays.