This is one of those recipes that makes me wonder if it is more breakfast, snack, or dessert. I know that is a tough problem to have isn’t it?!
Really I think it works for all three. I kept telling my family it was dessert, but they kept asking if they could eat it for breakfast. And yes I decided to be a yes mom and they ate it for breakfast one day. It has apples in it so it is healthy, right?!
This is the latest cake in my Martha Stewart Cakes the gluten free way series. I actually made this cake about a month ago, before my daughter and I went dairy free. So, this recipe has dairy in it and so will several of the cakes I share this month. Since the only dairy in this recipe is butter though, I am guessing you could easily use an alternative butter.
This gluten free cake was delicious! It worked perfectly gluten free. My husband loved this. He likes moist cakes and loves it when they have fruit in them, so this cake is one I will be making again and again.
The only thing I changed about this besides the gluten free part was the pan I made it in. It called for a tube pan and I thought it would work just as well, if not better in a 9×13 pan. And it worked just fine.
I guess I did change one more thing. The recipe called for fresh nutmeg. I did not have any and my husband does not like nutmeg, so I just left it out. I think you could easily add a little ground nutmeg to this though and it would be good.
I had also planned to use some sorghum flour in this recipe, but I was out and went with brown rice flour instead. I think I will try this with sorghum flour though sometime, because I think it would work with part or all sorghum in place of the brown rice flour.
Gluten Free Applesauce Coffee Cake
Gluten Free Applesauce Coffee cake is an easy and delicious old fashioned recipe made gluten free.
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans ( I left these out because of our nut allergy, but I think the cake would be even better with these added)
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the crumb topping ingredients, except the pecans, and mix until crumbly. Stir in pecans if using, and set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and set it aside.
- In a bowl combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy. This takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add applesauce and mix just until combined.
- Mix in flour mixture.
- Spread batter into prepared 9x13 pan.
- Arrange apples on top and then sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Barbara C Wilson
Is it possible to substitute a premade blend for the flours in your Applesauce Coffee Cake? Sounds really good. I have Bob’s Red Mill1:1 and a mix called Grandpa ‘s,Pantry. I’m trying to decide on a Christmas morning something. I still might do Applesauce bread …
I haven’t tried Bob’s Blend in this applesauce cake recipe, but I have in another on that I make and it works fine. So, although I have not tried it in this recipe, I think Bob’s 1 to 1 gf blend would work. This is my other gluten free applesauce cake that I make. It is a little different and both are really good. I hope that helps. https://gfkitchenadventures.com/gluten-free-applesauce-cake/