My daughter saw a recipe recently for pumpkin doughnuts and could not get them out of her mind. She knew we had to come up with a gluten free version of the recipe.
So, last week when my husband and other two kids were watching OU football, my daughter and I set to work making gluten free pumpkin doughnuts. And yes, my daughter and I enjoy cooking more than football, what can I say. OU football, or any football, for that matter is not our thing.
I know football fans don’t understand that, but at least my family got some delicious gluten free pumpkin doughnuts out of my lack of interest in the football game.
These turned out delicious! The pumpkin kept them very moist and gave them a great texture that is hard to get in gluten free baking. There is no grittiness to these. They are moist, soft, and delicious.
I wanted to dip them in cinnamon and sugar, my daughter thought chocolate sounded better, so we did both. Both were delicious. My husband and I preferred the cinnamon ones, my kids preferred the chocolate ones. So, you might want to make both kinds.
And if you don’t have a doughnut pan, don’t worry you can use a mini muffin tin and it works fine.
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- see note for topping options
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease doughnut pan and set aside.
- In a bowl beat together oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spices, salt, and baking powder. Mix until smooth.
- Add rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, and xanthan gum. Stir just until smooth.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
- Let sit in pan for several minutes then remove to wire rack to cool.
For cinnamon topping: Combine 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Dip tops of doughnuts in melted butter and then into cinnamon sugar mixture.
For chocolate topping: Use the chocolate glaze from my gluten free chocolate doughnuts.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 279mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.