If you have a little extra ham from the holidays or in the freezer this Ham Potato Chowder is the perfect soup to make.
This week for Souper Monday I am sharing a simple ham and potato soup.
This soup works well with leftover ham or any type of ham that you can cut into chunks.
This recipe is a great way to serve ham in a totally different way. Your family won’t feel like they are eating ham again when serving it this ham and potato chowder.
What is ham chowder?
Ham chowder is a simple soup that can be made with lots of leftovers. Since it is chowder it includes dairy.
It can be made in all kinds of different ingredients, but mine includes ham, potatoes, corn, carrots, milk, and cheese. Basically, it is a delicious soup that uses up leftover ingredients from a ham dinner or holiday meal.
This ham potato chowder is creamy and delicious!
- flour or gluten free flour blend
- chicken broth
- cheddar cheese
- fully cooked ham
Can I freeze chowder?
Yes and no. Chowder has dairy in it and it doesn’t always freeze well. A lot of people recommend you don’t freeze a soup like this. However, I freeze soups like this ham chowde all the time for my husband’s lunch.
It isn’t as good as fresh, but it does work. I freeze it in single serving sized containers. Defrost, stir well, and heat.
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons flour or Bob's Red Mill or King Athur's GF Flour Blend
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 2 potatoes peeled and cubed, about 2 1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups full cooked cubed or diced ham
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven or soup pot cook bacon until it is crisp. Remove from pan leaving the grease in the pan.
- Cook onion and carrots until onion is tender.
- Stir flour into the onion carrot mixture. Stir over low heat for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Stir in bacon, corn, ham, milk, and cheese.
- Cook over low heat until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1042mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 28g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.