Gluten-Free Ranger Cookies are a classic old-fashioned cookie made gluten-free.
Shortly before the holidays I went into a bakery to buy some cookies for my husband’s staff and to take to our eye doctor’s office for an appointment we had. Due to all of us wearing glasses, and a few eye issues this year, we have spent a good deal of time at the eye doctor and I wanted to thank them.
So, I ventured into a bakery to buy cookies, which is something I have not done in quite some time. And can I just say that a bakery can be a rough place for a gluten free person to enter and I do not recommend doing it often because the temptations are pretty tough to handle.
Overall I did well though and my daughter and I walked out of the bakery with several boxes of cookies without eating a thing ourselves. We both knew what it would do to us and we controlled the urge to have anything.
When I was ordering the cookies though, one certain cookie caught my attention and it was a cookie called a Ranger Cookie. I had not thought much about Ranger Cookies since going gluten free, but seeing them at that bakery brought back tons of childhood memories and I knew I had to work on making them gluten free.
The next day I set out trying to recreate this childhood favorite. I started with the recipe that my mom used to make, which originally came from a lady we knew at church, who was also the wife of my high school geography teacher. That is small town living for you. 🙂 They were a favorite whenever she made them and I am so glad my mom got the recipe from her years ago.
The original recipe for these Ranger Cookies did not have chocolate chips or white chocolate in them, but over the years my mom started adding them in and we loved them that way. So, for a more simple cookie leave the chocolate out, for a special treat be sure to add it in.
The original recipe also used shortening, but I change it to butter and it worked great as well.
Have you ever had Ranger Cookies? If so, this gluten free version is a must try! (And it is a must try if you have never had them because I think you will love them!)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free oatmeal, either regular oats or quick oats works
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups gluten free krispy rice or brown rice cereal
- 2 cup coconut
- 2 cups gluten free chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, optional .
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and oats. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in gluten free oats, gluten free rice krispies, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Drop a heaping tablespoon full onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and move to wire rack to finish cooling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.