These homemade peppermint patties have been a family favorite for years. This basic recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine from 1995. Yes, these are so good that I have made them almost every Christmas for fifteen years.
The original recipe for these had you making individual little patties and dipping each one. My sisters and I have found though that it is much easier to make these into bars.
If you like the mint patties that you find in the candy aisle, you will love these.
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar ( a little more may be needed )
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add milk and mix well.
- Spread mixture onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. ( I use my silpat mat)
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of shortening in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spread over chilled mint mixture and chill until chocolate is set.
- Flip bars over and carefully peel or parchment paper. Melt remaining chocolate and shortening and spread over the mint layer. Chill until set.
- After firm, bring to room temperature and then cut them. If the chocolate is solid these will be hard to cut. I bring them to room temperature to cut them, and then put them back in the refrigerator to store them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.