For this week’s Soup Monday I am sharing a quick and easy Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup. It might actually be considered more of a Tex-Mex recipe, but no matter what you call it, it is delicious!
One of the things that I love about this Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup is that it is easy to make using ingredients that I almost always have on hand.
This soup can also be made in less than thirty minutes. That makes it perfect for a busy day.
Is Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup Gluten Free?
Yes, this chicken and rice soup is gluten free as long as you read labels to make sure that all your ingredients are gluten free.
- butter or oil
- chicken broth
- diced canned tomatoes
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- long grain white rice
- canned chopped green chiles
- cooked chicken
- lime juice, optional for serving
- tortilla chips, optional for serging
- shredded cheese, optional for serving
Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup is a quick and easy soup using basic ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 - 14. 5 ounce cans chicken broth ( around 30 ounces is fine )
- 1 - 14.5 ounce cans diced canned tomatoes
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 - 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn ( optional but good )
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1 - 2 teaspoons lime juice, optional for serving
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, optional for serving
- In a large pan or dutch oven heat oil or butter. Add onion and cook until onion is tender.
- Add broth, tomatoes, seasonings, and rice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until rice is tender. About 20 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken and corn.
- Cook just until chicken and corn is heated.
- Serve with lime juice and cheese if desired.
For gluten free version be sure to read labels to make sure that all your ingredients are gluten free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 1582mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
I make something very similar but add pinto beans and cilantro after I had “Mexican gumbo” at Qdoba restaurant on Cherry St. This was my copy cat result too. So good! Especially over crushed tortilla chips with sour cream and guac added. I esp love the chicken broth with the rotel/cumin/chili/lime/cilantro flavor combo! True Okie Mexican comfort food! Love your site Lynn!
Thank you for sharing your version of a similar soup. I love to hear from Oklahoma readers!