Anyone who is nut or gluten free knows the challenges of buying things like granola. There are hard to find and if you find them they are expensive.
My solution is to make my own, however I have had trouble finding a recipe that I like. I recently posted on Facebook asking if anyone had a nut free version that they liked. A friend of mine emailed me her family’s favorite recipe after reading my Facebook post.
What I loved about her recipe was how easy it was.
The first time I made it we really enjoyed it, but I just can’t leave a recipe alone, so I tweaked and adapted it for my family. I actually ended up tweaking it quite a bit, but what I came up with is a new favorite in our house and yet it is still as easy as the original recipe was.
And best of all it is nut and gluten free so it is safe for all of us to eat and we all enjoyed it.
Have you made homemade granola before?
Nut Free Granola
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups old fashioned oats ( I used gf)
- 4 cups quick oats ( I used gf)
- 1 cup coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small saucepan mix together brown sugar, oil, and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut, and sugar/oil mixture.
- Stir until oats are well coated and everything is combined.
- Spread into 2 9×13 pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Stir, turn off your oven, and put the granola back into the oven for 3-4 hrs. The heat left in the oven will finish cooking this. I love this because I can make this and walk away for a few hours without having to continually stir the granola.
- Remove from oven after 3-4 hours. Let cool and store in an air tight container.