I love Taste Of Home’s recipes and cookbooks. Taste of Home helped me learn how to cook a wide variety of foods and desserts and I have been a loyal follower of their recipes for about 18 years. And yes that dates me and tells you how old I am since I think Taste of Home has only been around 18 yrs or so. 🙂
Today’s recipe is called Scrambled French Toast. It is basically all the flavors of french toast in a scrambled form, which makes it very quick and easy to make.
Now, I will admit this is not the prettiest of meals that I have served, but food is about more than how it looks, it is about how it tastes. Or at least I kept telling myself that when I saw how it looked in the picture……..
I had never heard or seen a recipe for Scrambled French Toast until I saw it in the Taste of Home Breakfast book, but when I saw it while going through the cookbook, I knew I had to try it.
My kids loved this and I think it makes for a fun breakfast or lunch. The texture was a little different than regular French toast, but it was still very good. I used gluten free bread, so that might have something to do with the texture being a little different, but overall it was still very good.
Have any of you ever made scrambled french toast or anything like it?
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg ( I left this out since several in my family do not like nutmeg.)
- 12 cups of bread cubed into 1/2 pieces, use gluten free version for gluten free version
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl beat eggs. Add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add bread cubes and toss to coat the bread. Let stand for 5 minutes so the bread can soak up some of the liquid.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or pan. I used my electric skillet.
- Add cubes to pan and cook until lightly browned. You want to stir this, but not constantly. You want the bread to brown a little, than stir, than brown some more.
- Gradually add sugar and stir to coat evenly. Cook a few more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 14g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.