This slow cooked cheesy vegetable potato soup is sure to please even the picky eaters in your family!
This recipe combines two of my favorite things for fall and winter. Soup and my slow cooker. Add in some cheese and vegetables and you have a delicious dinner.
This soup is based on my slow cooked potato cauliflower soup. I simply changed it up and used mixed vegetables instead of just cauliflower. This works well with a bag of frozen mixed vegetables or whatever random fresh vegetables that you have on hand.
Even the pickiest eaters in my family enjoy this soup. You know the picky eaters that don’t love vegetables. Or are my kids the only kids out there that don’t love vegetables…
What makes this soup great for even the picky eaters is that the vegetable flavor is toned down by using part potatoes. If you want a strong vegetable flavor use more vegetables and less potatoes. If you want less vegetable flavor use more potatoes and less vegetables. This really is one of those soups that doesn’t have to be exact. Use what you like or have on hand.
The cheese in this also makes it a soup everyone loves. I mean really can you ever have too much cheese?!
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups mixed vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc., fresh or frozen works fine
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 42 ounces chicken broth (5 1/4 cups) I use gluten free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5 or 6 quart slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for six hours, or low for 6-8 hours or cook until potatoes and vegetables are tender.
- Mash mixture until potatoes and vegetables are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened. (For a smoother texture you can puree in a blender or use a hand blender. I used a hand blender.)
- Stir in milk and cheese.
- Sprinkle each individual bowl with bacon and cheddar cheese if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 948mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g