Earlier this month when I had pumpkin chili on the menu plan several of you commented about it and were curious what it was like.
Well, I am happy to report that my whole family loved the pumpkin chili.
Every time I see a recipe for pumpkin chili I find it interesting and think to myself that I need to try making my own version of it. This year I was determined to give it a try and I am so glad that I finally did.
All three of my kids enjoy pumpkin, so this was not about sneaking a vegetable into their food, but if your kids are not big fans of pumpkin this might be a good way to get them to try it.
Because there are so many flavors going on in chili the pumpkin is not very noticeable. It has a very subtle taste. It gives it a little different flavor than most chili, but you can not tell it is pumpkin.
This will definitely be on the menu plan again soon.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 - 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 2- 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder ( add more if you like things spicier)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- Cook onion and ground beef until onion is tender and the beef is done.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Place meat, onion, garlic mixture into a crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.