Slow cooked shredded meat is one of my favorite slow cooker meals. I have shared several versions over the years and today I have another one for you. Today’s recipe is great because it only contains four ingredients.
I love shredded meat because it makes a great make ahead meal. I can make a large batch and we can eat it for dinner one night and use the leftovers for another meal. I can also freeze it to have on hand for an easy dinner later on.
I also love that I can serve it in so many ways. This slow cooked salsa chicken is great served with homemade refried beans, and Mexican rice. But it also works well for tacos, taco salad, taco bowls, and more. It is easy to change this up to serve it many different ways.
Slow Cooked Salsa Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken (I like a combination of breasts and thighs)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, mild, medium, or hot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice for serving
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Mix together salsa and cumin. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- Add lime juice.
- Shred chicken and serve on tortillas, on salad, on burrito bowls, or as desired.
Note: This shredded chicken freezes well for a make ahead Mexican meat filling.