Southern Living’s Buttermilk Cornbread is a simple cornbread using everyday ingredients. It is the perfect side for a bowl of soup or chili.
Their magazine is always full of beautiful pictures and ideas. Even if you don’t live in the south it is a great magazine. But their cookbooks are probably my favorite. I own quite a few of them. Many of them I have owned for years.
The Southern Living Homestyle Cooking is one of my favorites because it is just what the title says. It is full of basic homestyle type recipes.
You can only get this cookbook used, which surprised me until I looked at the copyright and realized that the cookbook is fourteen years old. I guess I have had and used this cookbook way longer than I realized.
The recipe I am sharing from this cookbook today is a basic southern style cornbread.
I decided to give this recipe a try because my family loves cornbread and I love to try new recipes for breads. My family especially loves southern cornbread which is a more dense cornbread than the northern cake like style of cornbread. This recipe caught my attention because it was a southern style cornbread.
My whole family loved this cornbread. It makes a great side to a bowl of soup or chili. I am sure I will be making this one over and over again.
- 2 tablespoons oil, shortening, or bacon grease
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal ( I use gluten free cornmeal)
- 1 tablespoon flour ( I used a gf flour blend)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/ 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place oil in an 8 inch cast iron pan and place pan in the oven to heat.
- While pan is heating combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk and egg. Pour over cornmeal mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Pour batter into hot cast iron pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cornbread is done and golden brown on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 1261mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g