There are hundreds of versions of taco soup. Almost everyone I know has their own way to make it. In fact I have several versions that I make. I have a chicken version that we really like. I also have several different beef taco soups that I have been making for a long time.
This taco soup is based on a recipe that my sister has been making for years. I have changed a few things to make it more the way that my family likes it, but the basics are the same.
I like this soup because it is a little different than most taco soup recipes. The secret ingredient in the soup is V-8. I know that is a strange ingredient in a taco soup, but it gives this soup really good flavor. I don’t usually like V-8 juice, but I love it in this soup. The V-8 really gives this a unique flavor. You should give it a try.
This recipe can be made on the stove top or in your crockpot, both ways work great.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 48 ounce V-8, I use low sodium
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 packaged of taco seasoning (or use homemade)
- 1 teaspoon of beef bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips optional for serving
- Cook beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is done.
- Drain. Add V-8, corn, beans, taco seasoning, and bouillon.
- If using crockpot cook on low for about 3 hours, add cooked rice and cook on low for 30 more minutes. If using the stove top, cook for about 30 minutes, add cooked rice, and cook until heated through. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 653mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 22g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.