We love to eat fajitas, especially in the summer time. It is a great quick and easy meal all in one that you do not need your oven for. The problem I have had is my husband likes the store bought mixes like this.
I have tried marinades and fancier recipes but he always says he likes the package mixes best. I don’t like buying them because of all the “extra” stuff they have in them. Plus they are about $1 a package and that adds up.
I have seen several recipes for homemade mixes. I adjusted the recipes to our tastes and I have finally come up a version of the seasoning mix that we think is pretty close if not better then the store packages. It is healthier and much more frugal.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 -3 teaspoons chili powder (vary according to how spicy you like it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Combine ingredients. Set aside.
- Cook 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been cut into strips.
- Cook in oil until almost done, about 5- 6 minutes.
- Add seasoning with 1/2 cup water. Mix well and finish cooking.
- In a separate pan cook sliced onions and peppers (we like to mix up green, yellow, and red, or whatever is on sale) until tender in a little oil.
- Stir vegetables into seasoned chicken.
- Serve on warm tortillas.
- You can also use sliced steak for this recipe.
- You can make a lot of the seasoning mix and keep in a container to have anytime you want to make fajitas.