Buttermilk Chocolate Muffins

Last week I was going to make my Buttermilk Chocolate Bread, but I really wanted something a little different. I wanted to use up some buttermilk that had expired. I knew it would be fine to bake with it and thought the chocolate bread would be a good way to use it up, but I was not really in the mood for a quick bread.

I decided to try using the same batter to make muffins. I had done this before with other quick bread recipes and it usually works well. I gave it a try with this batter and they turned out really good. In fact I think better than the bread version. I love the bread, so that says a lot. I am not sure exactly why they were better, but they were. They were more moist and just had a better overall texture.

So, if you like my Buttermilk Chocolate Bread trying making muffins with the same recipe. I baked the muffins for about 18 minutes.

Comments

1. sarahdodson says:

Looks/sounds delicious!

Oh YUMMY!! Thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and for the recipe.

3. I haven’t tried your bread recipe before but I love the crinkly-topped look of your muffins.

Off to follow the link…

4. Did someone say chocolate?! Wow, these look scrumptious! LOL! :D

Have a great Tuesday!
    Sherry

5. Life with Kaishon says:

I love ANYTHING with buttermilk baked in it. Oh my goodness. My favorite dessert in the world is buttermilk chocolate cake : ). These look yummy!

6. A happy heart at home says:

Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

~Susan

7. I had been looking for some chocolate muffins that I could make from scratch since my family loves the boxed-mix version. Thanks for sharing!

8. yummy!!!!

9. Hoosier Homemade says:

Oooo, chocolate and muffins! Perfect! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

10. heresmycuplord says:

Choco muffins…yeah!

11. Looks really, really good!

12. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home says:

YUM! I love chocolate muffins. These look great!

13. OHHH bookmarked these, I wonder if kefir would work to replace buttermilk. I think I am going to give it a shot

14. I made these today and subbed prunes for the butter. Yummmm!!! Thanks for the recipe!

15. YAY I made these today and they are soooo good. I used a mini muffin tin because everything is always better in mini form..you can eat more without feeling to guilty about it..lol Thanks for a great recipe!!

16. Lynn, did you bake the muffins @350 degree F too? How many standard size muffins does the recipe yield? Thanks. Planning on making these tonight.

• @Nivedita, Yes I baked them at 350 and I think it makes 18 or so. It has been a while since I made them. But now that you reminded me about them, I am going to have to make them again soon. :) I hope you enjoy them

• Lynn, thanks a bunch for the quick response! I did make these last night and they turned just as tender as I’d hoped. I baked @350 and very unevenly portioned out 18 muffins (baby was starving, crying as I did this in front of him with a spatula.. we were both desperate then, it’s pretty funny now.) I think I ended up baking the pan with 6 muffins for 18 minutes as you recommended and the other full pan tested a bit underdone so probably cooked those 23 minutes or so. I think I may add a touch of instant coffee powder next time and perhaps up the cocoa a bit too for a deeper chocolate flavor. Sweetness was just right. I tried this kingarthur recipe and those turned out pretty dry, but the flavor was good:

17. I just made the recipe and filled one regular muffin tin and one mini muffin tin. Both came out great! I sprinkled a little powdered sugar just for contrast after they cooled. I just tried a mini and its like a mini brownie bite (not as dense but a really nice bite of chocolate that is very satisfying). Really yummy-thanks for sharing ur recipe :)