Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Bread Recipe

This gluten free bread recipe makes a light and fluffy loaf that is delicious!

Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Bread from LynnsKitchenAdventures.com

A reader recently let me know that she had tried my gluten free dinner roll recipe as bread and she loved it.  After she left the comment I realized that I had never shared the bread version with you. I can’t believe I have never shared the bread version because I make it all the time. The reader was not the only one that loves that recipe as bread. My family loves it that way too.

I recently made this bread and was able to get a few pictures before my family devoured the loaf. It really is that good. A loaf does not last long at our house.

Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Bread__

See how light and fluffy that is? It really is delicious. And not only that it is easy to make.

Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Bread-

This gluten free bread recipe is simply my gluten free roll recipe made into a loaf of bread. I love the basic dough I use for my gluten free rolls and I know some of you do as well. After posting my roll recipe I did a follow up post on gluten free brands and if they matter. For this recipe I used all Bob’s Red Mill brand products and it has turned out great every time.

If you are missing bread this gluten free bread is a must make. I have made this so many times over the last year. It is one of my favorite gluten free doughs to work with and works great for bread, rolls, monkey bread, and even pizza. It is a great gluten free dough.

Light and Fluffly Gluten Free Bread

Lynn's (Gluten Free) Kitchen Adventures

Get additional gluten-free information from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures delivered to your inbox for free!

Comments

1. What size loaf pan?

2. Our new favorite!! Thanks.

3. Can you use arrowroot starch in place of potato starch I can’t have it.

4. I am trying your roll recipe today, but this is good to know that I can also use it for a bread recipe! I have been gluten free for a year now, and have yet to fall in love with any bread recipes. Yours looks amazing, and I can’t wait to have a yummy fluffy roll tonight! Yay!!

5. Diana Myers says:

Any idea on a flour I can sub for the brown rice? Coconut?

• I can assure you… DO NOT substitute with coconut flour. Coconut is not even a grain. It is used in grain-free baking and absorbs A LOT of water. It just won’t work with the coconut.

6. karen merrick says:

I love your website. I am rather new to gluten free cooking. I have been cooking loaf bread . What size loaf pan do you use ? Do you ever have issues with bread being doughy. If so , do you have a remedy? Thank you

7. karen merrick says:

I also am in search of good hamburger bun recipe. Thank you so much.

8. Can this bread be made in a bread machine?

9. I’m having trouble with my loaf contracting once I take it out of the oven. It isn’t deflating but the sides are literally being sucked in. any ideas? Other than that this is my fav bread recipe!

• Does it happen right when you take it out of the oven or after it cools for awhile?

• It is gradual as it cools. I am using honey instead of sugar – do you think it should bake longer or that i should reduce the water?

• Kathy Siebert says:

My bread does the same thing. So last time I made a ryeless rye I left it in the oven to cool down with door open and it did not drop or cave in. Today I am going to try making this bread and do the same thing. I think it is because it cools too fast. My house is cooler than most. (my husband is heat stingy).

10. Oh my goodness! My girlfriend and I are super excited to try this out. We have plans for a loaf of bread and a couple batches of pizza dough. With that, we have a question. When making the pizza dough, do we also need to let that rise or can we go from mixing to making pizza?
    Thank you for taking the time to not only post your recipes but also reading our message! Thank you.

• For pizza I let the dough rise in the bowl after making it for about 1 hr. Than I press it out for pizza. I bake the crust for 6-7 minutes, top it with toppings, than bake 6-8 more minutes. So yes, I let it rise, but before I press it out into pizza. I hope you enjoy it!

• Thank you, Lynn.

We made the batches that I mentioned earlier. They turned out amazing!
        They sure are sticky! We weren’t sure we had done it right because of that but in the end it was awesome.

Our only mistake was using a whole batch of dough for each pizza! hahah Whoops.

11. This is the best gluten-free bread I have tried making! Do you have a gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread recipe? I tried one that came with my bread machine and it was virtually flavorless.

• No I don’t, but adapting this would be a great idea! I may try to adapt this one and see how it works. I am thinking you could easily add in cinnamon and raisins to this and have it work fine. I am glad you enjoyed the recipe.

12. Lynne, could I substitute a gluten free flour blend that has Xanthum In it for the last 5 ingredients and then follow the remainder of the recipe?

• I have not tried it, so I am not 100%. The problem will be the xantham gum. This recipe has quite a bit more than most blends would. I would say you could try it, but you would need to add in some extra xantham gum as well.

• Just did this with Better Batter all purpose flour and 1T xanthan gum. Worked great with this flour. See my comment below. 1st time I made with 3 cups Better Batter all purpose flour and 1/3 C Sorghum flour., 1T xanthan gum and that worked great. – like a white bread. Second time I used 1 Cup of Teff flour and then rest better batter and that was more like wheat bread.

13. Just made this for the second time. I made changes as follows:

2 1/4 cups of Better Batter all purpose flour (has xanthan gum in it)
    1 Cup teff flour (nuts.com)
    1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
    (flours were in place of all the flours and starches in the above recipe- I left out 1T xanthan gum since the better batter flour had it in it.)

The Teff flour makes it look and taste more like wheat bread then white bread. Adds nutrition also.

I bake until my digital thermometer reads 212 deg and then turn oven off and let it cool in the oven. This has solved my cave in and dropping issues. I also am using an xl toaster oven.

Absolutely delicious right out of the oven. This has been the best gf bread recipe I have tried. I had given up making my own bread until now. Store bought was breaking my bank.

Can’t wait to have it tomorrow and see if it is still soft and fluffy.

14. This sounds very promising. I’m struggling to give my daughter a gluten-free bread that isn’t too different from regular bread. Most loaves I’ve baked are too dense for her liking. Do you think replacing the egg with a flax egg or other egg replacer allow it to still turn out? Thanks!

15. I have made this recipe twice and I CANNOT get the oven spring!!! No matter what recipe I try, I can *never* get it to spring in the oven. In fact, it always falls a little instead. It proofs nicely, but it just won’t rise more in the oven. This time, I tried cutting little slits in the top (in case there was some sort of dried crust on top… even though I covered it with a clear shower cap), and I also preheated the oven for 45 minutes with a cast iron pan of water in the bottom of the oven, and a pizza stone. I placed the bread pan directly on the pizza stone. The theory for oven spring is that the bubbles in the dough heat rapidly and expand. So there needs to be room for expansion (humid oven, no “crust” preventing it from expanding), and rapid heat transfer (pre-heated pizza stone).

It. Just. Won’t. Work.

Any ideas?

• Do you mean that yours does not look like mine in the picture or that you can’t get it to spring like a normal loaf of bread would? Gluten free bread dough is very different than regular bread dough, so I don’t think you can get quite the same spring/rise in the oven that you get with a regular bread dough.

• I know gluten free dough is much different. It’s more like a paste (requires more moisture) and that’s why there are substitutes for gluten like the xanthan gum. Gluten gives the structure for “normal” bread so we have to compensate for all that with the ratio of flour to starch, eggs, etc. I don’t mean that it doesn’t spring as much as I expect it would with gluten dough… I mean it doesn’t spring *at all.* In fact, it “sinks” a little (not the horrible kind of sinking… but the “level” does go down). I can’t get mine to look like yours in the picture. I’m using a pain de mie pan (pullman pan), but even if I use a “normal” pan, it does the same thing.

• I realize this may sound strange but I had the same problem and I reduced the xanthan gum to 1 1/2 Tbsp and added 1 1/2 tsp vinegar and it made a difference. The acid is suppose to help the xanthan gum and the yeast work better. That is what I read.

16. Holy cow, finally a bread without a hard crusty top, mine did shrink so my pieces are not nice and tall, but I may try a smaller pan next time. It rose beautifully but deflated a bit when it cooled. I have made so many breads, but I hate a hard crust, and this is perfect. I even brushed a little butter on the top as it came out, which gave it a nice flavor. Now I am looking for some soft rolls to make…

17. Lynn I made the bread.it was much better then any I’ve tried ,but it raised above the pan and then after I took it out and it cooled it fell in the center. And then it was heavy like all the other breads I made.im so disgusted I want to give up. Also it is so expensive. . Please can you help me make a good loaf of bread..I have been baking for years (yeast) breads but glutin and dairy free are all together different. Thanking you in advance Barbar

• What brand of rice flours, xanthan gum etc did you use? I have found with gluten free baking that it can make a difference.

18. I used Fleischmanns rapid rise yeast and Hodgson mills Xantham, milled my own rices .( I have a whisper mill.) as for the rest of the flours I used Bobs mills. The oil I used safflower oil .as you did not say what kind. I did everything the way you have it listed. Infact I kept reading the recipe over and over so I would not make a mistake. The yeast raised just fine. So maybe you can tell where I made a mistake. Thank You. Barbara.

19. Lynn did you see my last message. I need to bake again., but I’m afraid too. Waiting for your answer thanks Barbara.

20. I need to know the brands you used when everything went wrong .Thanks Barbara

21. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I live in a rural town in New Zealand and up until about two years ago our local supermarkets had maybe one or two alternative flours or gluten free products. Exorbitant in price too. Now they both have a section dedicated to alternative foods and flours YAY!!!!. Still a mite expensive but at least we have a choice. I have tried over the years various gf bread and dough recipes – some I couldn’t get the ingredients for at all and others just were spectacular fails. This is the first dough that feels soft after cooking and is still soft the next day. I even zapped it in the microwave for 30 secs and it remained soft. I have passed your site onto the family members that are gf and also to a few friends. So thank you so much for working on this dough and finding one that works and is almost like the real wheat ones. Sadly Hubby went BLAH but my son and I enjoyed it and it tastes nice too. We have had bad experiences with some unpleasant tastes in the past. Your hard work and expense is appreciated and thank you so much for generously sharing it with us.

• I am so glad that you enjoyed it! And thanks so much for letting me know. Your kind comment made my day! And I love finding out that I have readers all over the world. Have a great day!

22. Kris Mongillo says:

Loved this recipe. I do think that maybe the yeast measurement of 2 Tablespoons should be 2 teaspoons. With the 2 Tablespoons my bread rose over the pan in less than 20 minutes. I cooked it at that point to prevent an I Love Lucy moment in my kitchen. It baked fine and tasted like sour dough bread. Then I tried to make a rye-less (because of gluten in rye) German Rye for me dad. I used the original recipe with only 2 teaspoons of yeast and reduced the sugar to 1 Tbsp. Also added: 1/4 c molasses, 2 Tbsp. cocoa, 2 tsp ground caraway seeds 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seeds and 1 Tbsp ground flax seed. It was fantastic. Satisfies the rye bread craving without the gluten.

23. Could I make this bread in my bread machine? I sure hope so.

Thanks

• I have not tried it, but I think making the basic dough from this would work or at least is worth trying.

• Hi Dianne & Lynn,

I made this in my bread machine and it is absolutely wonderful. I followed recommended adjustments by the machine manufacturer and it worked great (I may tweak it, but it is awesome as is.)
        The adjustments I made:
        1. Mixed the water, oil and egg together in a bowl. (Excluded the yeast here)
        2. In a seperate bowl I combined all the dry ingredients (Excluded the yeast here)
        3. Put the liquid in the bread maker first.
        4. I carefully spooned the mixture of dry ingredients over the liquid – did not mix with the liquid. I created a mound and added a dent (like a volcano but shallow so the liquid is not exposed)
        5 In the volcano dent I place the Yeast. I used 1-3/4 tablespoons of breadmaker yeast.
        6. Set the bread on White medium, 1-1/2 lb. loaf.

The bread rose beautifully and is a lovely light brown color. It has a perfect texture (for gluten free bread) and I couldn’t be happier.

• Thank you for sharing that it worked! I am so glad to know that it does because quite a few readers have asked about it. Thanks so much! And I am glad you enjoyed it

24. Jacqueline says:

I am excited to try making this bread, but I am from England where bread is not sweetened and although I have lived in the US for many, many years I have never been able to get used to the sweet bread here (even a little bit sweet) which is the main reason for baking my own. So, do you think this recipe would work with less sugar, perhaps one teaspoon instead of the 1/4 C that the recipe calls for? I think I could handle that much. Perhaps it would need a longer and warmer rise period? Any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

• Yes, I think this would work with less sugar. I would use maybe 1-2 teaspoons or whatever amount you normally like for bread recipes. And yes you might have to adjust the rise time a little bit. I hope you enjoy it and it works for you! I like this recipe for bread, rolls, and have even used it for pizza crust.

25. I’ve made it last week, all the ingredients I cut half, and used ground flexseed instead of xanthan and egg. But the mixture likes cake batter more than bread dough. Of course I failed. 555555
    Can just give some tips for.it? thank u in advance~

• My guess is this needs the egg and xathan gum. I have tried it using less gum and it is not the same, so I am guessing taking out the gum altogether would probably change the texture quite a bit.

26. Can this recipe be doubled as I want to make a 12″ X 5″ loaf? We like bigger slices for sandwiches.

Thanks for your response. I can not wait to bake this. I have tried so many recipes from gluten free cookbooks and have purchased all kinds of gluten free bread flour blends and follow the recipes exactly. I even purchased a nice digital scale that measures grams as I have been told it is more accurate for gluten free flowers. Every loaf I have baked turned out very dense and heavy even though the loaves rose above the rim about 1/2″. I have baked wth batter recipes and doughs that had to BD needed on a board. They were still heavy and dense. I use an instant thermometer and check the internal temperature to make sure the bread is done on the inside like the bread like the recipe instructions and allowed the bread to cool n a rack completely before slicing and just about everytime the bread gums up on the electric knife and it is difficult to slice. Prior to m being dagnosec wth Celiac Disase I used to make awesome breads of all types that always turned out wonderful..m dear hubby does not have Celiac Dsease but eats gluten free at home. I really want to make a nice light sandwich bread and rolls that he loves! Your picture looks gorgeous! I am going to try baking some soon! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

• I have not doubled this. I am guessing it would work, but this does rise a lot for a gluten free bread, so I don’t know that I would double it for a 12×5 loaf. It might be something that you have to experiment with to get the big slices that you like. I hope that helps and that you enjoy it.

27. Hi Lynn, this looks awesome, very new to Gluten Free cooking and baking. But do to health I have to and I was wondering is there a substitute for Potato starch, I don’t have any and I was wondering I could just add more of the tapioca flour or maybe some flax seed flour?

• For this to have the best results you really need the potato starch. It might technically work without it, but it won’t be the same or as good. Here is a post I did a few years ago on potato starch and why it is in gluten free recipes. I hope it helps. And I hope gluten free helps your help. It is not for everyone, but when it works, like it did for me, it is so worth it! And the beginning can be overwhelming, but it does get easier the more you do it. http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2012/11/what-is-potato-starch-food-facts.html

28. Charlene says:

What can I use instead of brown rice flour? I don’t like the taste

29. Ugh! Are you sure the recipe should be 2 tablespoons of dry yeast and not two teaspoons? The dough was flowing over the pan in 15 min. Could let it rise an 1 1/4 hrs as it would have been all vet my countertop. It didn’t cook inside and was a total disaster. Please let me know if the iamount of yeast is accurate.
    Thanks

• Yes it is 2 tablespoons. I have made this many times with that amount. Did it overflow in the oven while baking or while rising on the counter?

30. What do you think I may have done wrong Lynn? I really want to make this bread, the flavor is delicious!

• What brand of products did you use? Have you made regular yeast doughs before? A lot of things can make a difference in the dough. Was it maybe really warm that day or near a heat source?

31. I made this bread exactly as described and it fell flat after putting in the bread pan. It didn’t rise on its own, nor did it do so in the oven. It came out of the oven like a dense tasteless brick. The yeast was transforming well in the beginning and the environment was warm. I can’t imagine what went wrong. I’ve made lots of wheat breads and was really looking forward to a gluten-free alternative.

• What brand of gluten free flours and gums did you use? I did this post on gluten free brands and quite a few readers have found it helpful. http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2012/12/do-the-brands-of-ingredients-matter-in-gluten-free-baking.html

• I’m mostly using Bob’s Red Mill flours and a bulk version of potato flour, tapioca flour and Xanthan gum sold by Whole Foods Market here in BC. Two additional questions…. your recipe calls for potato starch and tapioca starch, I couldn’t find these but did find flours. These are what I used assuming they were the same thing. Is this correct? Secondly, your recipe indicated that 5 minutes of mixing was required and so I did this; however, I have a feeling it overworked the yeast so there was no strength left in it to rise the bread. I should say that the resulting pasty product had absolutely no flavour. I had a little more success with a gluten-free flour blend which was quite tasteful but the result did not rise quite as much as I would like.

32. Does the sugar come out in the flavor? I don’t like sweet breads and I find a lot of supermarket gluten free is packed with sugar. Is it necessary to the consistency?

• It is a little bit of a sweeter roll. I think it helps the consistency not just the flavor though. If you don’t like sweet rolls I think you could easily cut back some on the sugar. I just wouldn’t leave it all out. I hope that helps!

33. This bread was disgusting I can’t even eat it :( waste of time and money. If your looking for flavor don’t bake if your looking for light and fluffy don’t bake!

34. Hi. I am need at gluten free baking. I have bobs red mill 1 to 1 flour. Would that work with this recipe? It already has the xanthin gum Would I still need the other starches?

• I have used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 in this and it is ok, but not nearly as good as it is with the individual flours and starches. If you want to try it you would use the Bob’s in place of the flours and starches. You would also need to add a little extra xanthan gum since this recipes has so much in it. I would probably add about 1 teaspoon xanthan gum if I was using Bob’s Blend. The results won’t be quite the same, but if you are really wanting a gf roll it is worth trying. I hope that helps.

35. My bread did not rise up like yours. It was very heavy and dense. I don’t have a mixer, so next time I make this do you think it would be lighter and fluffy if I did knead it? Or do you have another recipe that is Gluten Free that I could knead?
    I have tried several times and all my Gluten free bread is heavy and doesn’t rise up at all. Thanks for any suggestions that you may have for me. My name is Lu Bellamak and my Email is paintwithlu@icloud.com Thanks very much