I had a few apples left from my trip to the orchard. They needed to be used up, but I wanted to try something new. I also had some bread, that wasn’t the freshest, that needed to be used up. I looked for a recipe for apple bread pudding, but I could not find one I liked. So, I came up with my own version.
Bread pudding is one of those frugal old fashioned desserts. I like regular bread pudding, but I usually like to give it a unique twist. I like to make it a little different.
This recipe is your basic bread pudding, but I tweaked it by adding apples. This turned out really well. My kids loved it. I loved it because I used up some ingredients that I needed to. I also love the fact that I created a semi healthy (it does contain apples after all), dessert.
- 6 cups of bread cut into chunks ( use gluten free bread for gf version )
- 2 cups diced apples, you want to use an apple that is good for baking
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix together apples and bread.
- In separate large bowl whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon, then add bread and apples.
- Mix together well. Pour into an 11x7 or about that pan.
- Place that an into a 9x13 pan and fill the outer pan (9x13 pan) with about 1 inch of water. Your size of pan does not matter so much, as long as the pan with the bread mixture can fit into a pan with water into it. You are creating a water bath, which is important in giving this bread pudding its texture.
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 9g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.