Grilled cheese sandwiches are my comfort food. I could eat them almost every day. Although that probably would not be the healthiest of diets…You get the idea though. I love a good grilled cheese sandwich.
One of the best things about grilled cheese sandwiches are how easy the are to make with simple ingredients. Cheese and bread are things that I almost always have on hand. It is also an easy meal when I do not have a lot of time.
I love a simple grilled cheese sandwich on it’s own or with a bowl of soup. But I also love changing it up with a few extra ingredients.
Bacon, cheese, and tomato grilled cheese is another one we love in the summer with garden fresh tomatoes. I even love making grilled cheese in my oven.
Today I am changing up a basic grilled cheese sandwich by adding bacon and avocado. It is so good!
Avocados seem to be all the rage right now. People are using them in everything. I love avocados, and can easily enjoy them by the spoonful plain, but I am picky in what I use them for.
I am not in to all the strange things people are putting them in right now. But I do love them on tacos, on salads, and on just about anything Mexican or Tex Mex.
I also love them on sandwiches. They take a basic sandwich to the next level. Which is what I did for this sandwich.
Bacon avocado grilled cheese is not a new idea to me, but I don’t think I had actually tried it until recently. I can’t believe it took me so long to try this. If you love avocados and have never tried it on a grilled cheese, you need to. It is so good!
- 4 slices bread ( I use gf bread for those that need to eat gluten free)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a bowl mash avocado and set aside.
- Preheat skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place 2 slices of bread in pan buttered side down.
- Place one piece of cheese on each piece of bread. Spread avocado on top of the cheese. Place 2 pieces of bacon on each sandwich. Place remaining cheese on top. Top with bread, buttered side out.
- Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, turning the sandwich once, or until both sides are lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 762Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 1156mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g