They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and although we all know that, it is one meal many of us eat in a hurry on our way out the door.
And I will admit that breakfast is one of the hardest meals for me. I want something at least semi-healthy, easy, and that my kids will love. Those can be hard to fit into one breakfast.
We love baked oatmeal and homemade granola, but we needed to add some variety into our breakfasts. So, over the last few months I have been experimenting trying to come up with some new breakfast ideas for my family.
Today’s recipe is one of the new things I have come up with. Think baked oatmeal, but in a cookie form. They are hearty, pretty healthy, and have cookie in the name. And who doesn’t want to eat a cookie for breakfast.
These freeze really well and are a great grab and go breakfast. We have found that we like them best warm, so we put them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, just to heat them up slightly.
Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- 3 cups quick cooking oats (be sure to use gf oats if you are gluten free)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup mashed banana or about 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips- optional, but really good
- Mix all ingredients together and stir well.
- Drop by the spoonful onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.