Slow cooked burrito bowl soup is an easy dinner perfect at the end of a long day. Or really any day.
It is no secret that I love my slow cooker. I have mentioned it several times recently. I love that I can put dinner in the slow cooker early in the day and have a meal ready for my family at dinner time.
This is one of those recipes though that doesn’t have to be cooked in the slow cooker. You could just as easily heat this up on the stove top. So, if you don’t love your slow cooker as much as I do, or if forget to put it in the slow cooker, just heat it up on the stove top.
When I came up with this soup I wasn’t sure what to call it. It definitely has a Mexican type of flavor, but is different than a taco soup. It reminded me very much of a burrito bowl. The flavors are similar, but it is in soup form, so I decided to call it burrito bowl soup.
My family loved this soup. The flavor was great and the rice made it nice and filling. Even my picky eater enjoyed this one. You could also easily change up the meat on this one. Ground beef or shredded pork would work well also.
Burrito Bowl Soup
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 2- 16 ounce cans refried beans
- 2 cups salsa
- 3- 14. 5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup instant rice or 2 cups cooked rice
- Place chicken, refried beans, salsa, chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin in a 5 or 6 qt slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before cooking stir in minute rice (or cooked rice if using) and lime juice and turn crock pot to high.
- Cook until minute rice is cooked or cooked rice is heated through.
- Serve with chips, shredded cheese, additional salsa, etc.
(For the stove top version heat ingredients in a large pan and stir in rice during the last 7-8 minutes and cook until minute rice is tender or cooked rice is heated through.)