I just want to start by saying that this caramel chex mix is so good. It is kind of like regular chex mix in the fact that it is a bit addicting. You just eat a little here and there and the next thing you know you ate way to much.
This is really like a cross between chex mix and caramel corn. It is definitely sweet and more of a dessert than a snack.
This works perfectly for us when we have a family movie night. My kids like it because it is different than our normal snacks like popcorn or even caramel corn. They would love it if I made this more often.
I use just chex cereal in this to keep it gluten free, but you could easily add other things to it. I have added M&M’s to it before and my kids enjoy it when I do that. I think the M&M’s make it almost too sweet, but kids never think anything is too sweet, so they love it when I add them. If you add M&M’s add them after you bake it and it has cooled.
Caramel Chex Mix
- 9 cups corn chex
- 9 cups rice chex
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Place chex into one very large bowl or pan, or 2 medium to large bowls.
- In a pan bring the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and cream of tarter to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the baking soda quickly and remove from heat.
- Pour over chex and stir well. The caramel sauce should coat the chex. You need to stir this fast because it will start to harden.
- Spread onto two baking sheets (lining the pans with foil or a silpat mat will make clean up easier) Bake at 200 degrees for 45 minutes. I rotate the sheets around and stir every 15 minutes.
- This is not crisp when you first take it out. It will harden up as it cools on the sheets. Break up into pieces and place in a bowl and serve.
This post linked to Tasty Tuesday and Works For Me Wednesday.