Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken is a quick and easy dinner that uses only three ingredients. Four ingredients if you serve it on tortillas or rice.
This might not be the prettiest recipe that I have shared. Chicken, green salsa, and cheese does not make for a great picture, but it is very good.
I have seen various versions of this dish, but they are all basically the same. Chicken, green salsa, and cheese. Some recipes vary the cheese or amount of salsa, but they are all very similar. Today I am sharing my version.
I like this recipe because I can serve it as is, with tortillas, or over rice. It is also easy to make in a large batch and use the leftovers shredded for a taco or burrito type filling.
The trick to this recipe is to keep the chicken covered in salsa and cheese so that it doesn’t dry out when cooking. I am giving basic amounts for the ingredients, but you can easily change this one up and make a small amount or a large amount.
Need other quick and easy chicken dinner recipes?
Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken
Quick and easy five-ingredient dinner! Gluten free and easy to make.
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders, breasts, or thighs (If using chicken breasts or large pieces of chicken, cut them in half.)
- 1 3/4 cup - 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken in a 9x13 or similar-sized baking dish.
- Spread salsa verde over chicken, covering chicken well.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the chicken. Time will vary depending on the size. Chicken tenders will take closer to 20 minutes and chicken breasts and thighs will take 25 minutes or longer.
- Serve as is, with tortillas, or over rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 56g
I make something similar to this in the crock pot. Just 2 ingredients: chicken and salsa verde. When it’s done, I shred the chicken and put it back in the sauce. It makes the most amazing chicken tacos or burritos.
I love to do that too! I like to freeze it when I do that for easy dinners. The shredded meat can be used in so many different ways.
Rainy Monday blues then saw this Vhicken Verde recipe.
Looking forward to trying it.
Thank you Lynn as l am not a great cook but l can follow your recipes and they make me look like a great cook!😂
Love Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures 💕
Thank you! That made my day. I love sharing quick and easy recipes, so I am glad to hear that you enjoy them and that they make cooking easier for you. Have a great day!
Any tips as to what type of salsa verde to use?
Our favorite salsa verde is Herdez. We also like the On the Border brand one that I can usually find at Walmart. I buy other brands when I get them on sale etc., but our favorite is the Herdez or On the Border. I hope that helps.