I have never been a fan of cake mix cakes. Yes, I like to doctor up a cake mix every once in awhile, like in my cake mix cookies, but eating it as just cake, is not for me.
I actually don’t think they have ever been a fan of cake mix cakes. However, give me a piece of a homemade chocolate cake and I am very happy.
As much as I love homemade chocolate cake though, I don’t always have a lot of time to make one. So, when I make a homemade cake, I usually prefer it to be just a simple and basic cake. This recipe today is exactly that. A simple, yet basic chocolate cake.
I recently needed a dessert to take to a church dinner, so I looked through my cookbooks to see if I could find something that looked good. I ending up making and taking this cake. I did not come home with any leftovers. From what everyone said it was very good.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it adapted very well into a gluten free cake. So, I can now make both a gluten filled and a gluten free version. I love being able to do this because then everyone in my family feels like they are eating the same thing.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch-round cake pan. Dust bottom and sides of pan with cocoa, tapping out excess.
- Stir together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream and beginning and ending with the flour.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Tap pan firmly on counter top once to eliminate some of the air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert cake onto a wire rack.
- Cool and frost. I like to frost this with ganache, but you can use another type of frosting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart.