My mom’s coconut bars is a family recipe that we have making for years! It is a family favorite!
Warning this recipe contains coconut! That is what I have to tell my daughter anytime a dessert has coconut in it. She hates coconut and does not like being surprised by it when she takes a bite. And it is not just a texture thing with her, she does not like anything even coconut flavored.
I on the other hand love coconut. It has so much flavor. It is so good. I can eat a handful of it straight from the bag. Oh, it is so good!
This recipe came from my mom. She made this all the time when we were growing up. This recipe reminds me so much of my childhood. She made these a lot because they were easy, frugal, and really good. The whole family enjoyed these bars.
This is a basic old fashioned, simple recipe. No frills or fancy ingredients. This dessert can be made with simple pantry ingredients. I love recipes like that, don’t you?
Now I am curious to know how many of you are coconut haters? Or are you like me and love it?
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups coconut
- This recipe is best made by hand. Stir with a wooden spoon. Do not use a mixer.
- Melt butter. Add white and brown sugar and stir together.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until blended.
- Pour into greased 9×13 pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars and enjoy.