If you are looking for a Thanksgiving dessert that is a little different and does not use your oven, I have the dessert for you.
Crock Pot Caramel Apple Crisp anyone?!
This dessert is so easy and so delicious. I have made this three times in the last few weeks and everyone has loved it.
All I did for this was simply adapt my caramel apple crisp for the crock pot. And by making it in the crock pot it makes a great Thanksgiving dessert.
Put this in you slow cooker a few hours before the meal and you will have a warm and delicious dessert ready for Thanksgiving dessert. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it is even better.
Now, I know this may not be a traditional Thanksgiving Day dessert, but who says that holiday dinners have to be complicated or fancy. If a simple and delicious dessert like this can make Thanksgiving Day cooking a little easier, than I am all for it.
And really this dessert is perfect for anytime. I took this to a church dinner recently and it was gone in no time. This is a dessert that everyone will love.
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal, ground in a blender or food processor until fine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (in addition to the oatmeal from above that has been ground)
- 3 lbs of apples ( I used granny smith, but you could use another apple that is good for baking)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce ( I used caramel ice cream topping)
- In a bowl combine the ground oats, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons regular sugar.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two forks, until mixed together and the butter is about pea sized. You do not want the butter totally mixed in, you want some chunks.
- Stir in oatmeal. Place in the refrigerator to keep cold while you prepare the apples.
- Peel and slice apples and place them in a bowl. Toss with lemon juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Place apples in a Crock Pot and sprinkle with oatmeal topping.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce. Turn crock pot off and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 6gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.