I recently had to buy a new crockpot and with my new crockpot came a small recipe booklet. One of the recipes that caught my attention was a recipe for Carolina Barbecued Pork.
A friend of ours from church makes a Carolina BBQ Pork that is really good. My husband really enjoys her version. The recipe in this booklet was a little different, but I thought it looked interesting. I am always looking for new pork recipes so I decided to give it a try.
I made this the other day and we really enjoyed it. It is nice because it is a crockpot recipe. It was easy to make and it was ready for dinner after I had a really busy day.
This recipe has more liquid and is more moist then my friends version. We really like both versions and I am glad to now have two versions of Carolina Barbecue Pork.
I changed the recipe a little and cut back on the onions, but overall it is the same basic recipe.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 lb boneless pork butt or shoulder roast
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 10 hamburger buns
- coleslaw for serving
- Place onions in crockpot.
- Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper, rub over roast.
- Place roast over onions.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt, and cayenne stir to combine well. Drizzle 1/4 of vinegar mixture over roast.
- Cover and refrigerate the remaining vinegar mixture.
- Cover cook on Low 10 to 12 hours or on High 5 to 6 hours. Remove meat and onions.
- Chop or shred meat and chop onions.
- Serve meat and onions on buns. Drizzle the remaining sauce that you refrigerated on top of sandwiches.
- If desired, top sandwiches with coleslaw.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 946mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 49g