Last year during the holidays my family missed some of our favorite holiday foods. I had only been gluten free for a few months and I was still trying to figure out this whole new way of eating and baking.
Over the last year I have experimented quite a bit and learned so much about gluten free baking that this year I am determined to adapt many of our holiday favorites to be gluten free.
One of our favorite pumpkin recipes to make around Thanksgiving time was a pumpkin bread.
This was not your average pumpkin bread though. This pumpkin bread was more like a dessert.
It was a recipe that I had adapted from an old Taste of Home magazine and it was a holiday bread that my whole family loved.
I recently decided that I would try to adapt this family favorite to gluten free.
As many of you know, adapting recipes to be gluten free does not always work. Sometimes you end up with a wonderful dish, and other times you end up with a disaster that ends up in the trash.
Well, this pumpkin bread was one that ended up being wonderful. It was so good. In fact it was just as good as the original one that I used to make.
This would make a perfect gluten free recipe to serve to anyone over the holidays.
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix (do not use instant and make sure that it is gluten free )
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add oil and pumpkin; beat until smooth.
- Combine remaining ingredients; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.
- Pour batter into 2 large loaf pans.
- Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.