Ground Beef Tomato Macaroni Soup is a basic homemade tomato soup with ground beef and macaroni. It is quick and easy to make using basic pantry ingredients.
My husband’s family has a recipe for tomato macaroni soup that they have been making for years. My husband grew up eating it. His parents and grandparents made it all them time.
My husband and I ate it during our early years of marriage because it was so inexpensive to eat. I always thought of the recipe as a depression era recipe because it was so basic. In fact, it was almost too basic.
My husband would totally disagree with that. He loves it because it is so basic. I however have never loved the soup because it felt like it needed something more. It needed more flavor and something to make it more filling.
So over the years I have come up with different versions of a basic tomato soup. I took the concept of my husband’s family recipe and have turned it into different versions that are more filling and more flavorful.
This soup is my favorite version. It is a fairly classic tomato soup with ground beef and macaroni added to it.
I love this soup during the fall and winter. It is quick and easy to make with ingredients that I almost always have on hand.
Can Tomato Macaroni Soup be made gluten free?
Yes it can. I make it gluten free using gluten free pasta. The version is the picture is made with gluten free pasta.
What ingredients are in Ground Beef Tomato Macaroni Soup?
- ground beef
- chicken or beef broth
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3- 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 - 14.5 ounce can beef or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni ( gluten free pasta works well too)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Puree tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- In a large pan cook ground beef and onion until onion is tender and ground beef is done. Drain off any fat.
- Add garlic to meat mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and broth to meat mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
If you are gluten free use gluten free pasta and be sure that your broth is gluten free.