I have been making baked ziti for years, but this baked ziti recipe came about after the holidays when I was trying to use up some of the food in my refrigerator.
I had picked up some cream cheese during the holidays for a really good price and I had a few packages left that were nearing the expiration date. Sometimes I freeze extra cream cheese, but I try to use it up in recipes if I can instead of freezing it.
When I normally make baked ziti I add either cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, but since I had extra cream cheese I decided to give it a try instead of cottage cheese or ricotta.
And it turned out so good! It was nice and creamy and had a richness that cottage cheese does not give you.
So, next time you have some extra cream cheese try adding it to your favorite pasta dishes. It is so good!
- 12 ounce ziti pasta, tube type pasta, or really any type pasta- Use gluten free pasta for gluten free version
- 2 pounds ground beef (You can use less if you like, but we like our baked pastas meaty)
- 1- 28 ounce (or so) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef until done. Drain off any fat and add sauce, eggs, cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
- In a large bowl or pan mix together cooked pasta and sauce mixture and spread into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you are gluten-free be sure to use gluten-free pasta and read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 696Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 2086mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 8gSugar: 20gProtein: 42g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.