It is not secret that I love quick and easy dinners. This easy pasta sauce is just that. It is so quick and easy to make. There is no need to use a jar of pasta sauce when you can make it in just a few minutes.
Pasta sauce really can be made in a just a few minutes using basic ingredients. I think homemade sauce tastes better than the jarred kind, but I also love that I can control the ingredients. I know exactly what goes into this sauce.
I have been making this easy pasta sauce for years. You can make this with or without the meat. If you prefer a meatless sauce just leave it out. If you like a sauce full of meat like my husband and son do, than add in a pound of cooked ground beef or sausage.
For this recipe I used my new favorite gluten free pasta. It has become my go to gluten free pasta. So good!
Easy Pasta Sauce
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- 1 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 – 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound cooked ground beef or sausage, optional, you can also make this a meatless sauce
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserving 1/2 cup pasta water when draining cooked pasta.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is lightly golden, about 30 seconds. Add red-pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and basil.
- Increase heat to medium high. Add canned tomatoes and cook until sauce begins to thicken, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in meat if using and cook until heated through.
- Add sauce to cooked pasta and cook 2- 3 minutes.
- Add reserved pasta water if needed to thin the sauce out. I usually add some about 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Recipe updated April 2017.