Gluten-Free Banana muffins are a delicious breakfast or lunch treat. They make a great snack and if you stir in some chocolate chips they are also an easy dessert.
My daughter loves anything banana, so banana bread and banana muffins were some of the first things that I figured out how to make when I went gluten-free back in 2009.
I quickly learned the bananas and gluten-free baking go well together. The banana gives gluten-free baked goods a great taste and texture.
Bananas have a strong flavor and they are moist, so they cover up any odd taste or texture that gluten-free flours often have.
These muffins are a favorite at our house. We make them at least once a month.
Kids and adults love these muffins. They are great plain or you can add chocolate chips to make them extra special. Chocolate chips make them a little more dessert like.
What are banana Muffins?
These gluten-free muffins are basically banana bread made into muffins using a gluten free banana muffin battter.
- brown or white rice flour
- potato starch
- tapioca starch/flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ripe banana
- chocolate chips, optional
Are they dairy free?
Yes, these muffins are dairy-free. If you add chocolate chips to the batter be sure that you use dairy-free chocolate chips.
Do these muffins freeze well?
Yes, these muffins freeze great. Most muffins freeze well. Bake as directed. Cool completely. Wrap and freeze.
More Gluten Free Banana Recipes and Tips
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Best Flour Blend for Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Bars
- 3/4 cup brown or white rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
- Grease muffin pan or line cups with liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl cream together eggs, sugar, and oil. Add in bananas and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in flour mixture just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
This recipe can be made with Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend in place of the individual gluten free flours, but for best results use the individual gluten free flours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Originally posted May 2010. Updated March 2021.