If you have read my site for long then you know we love muffins. I usually make them at least once a week and am always looking for new versions, especially gluten free versions.
These muffins are perfect right now because it is blueberry season in many parts of the country. And if you do not have fresh blueberries, frozen ones would work fine here.
I first saw these muffins over at Two Peas and Their Pod and I knew that I had to come up with a gluten free version of them. First of all we love muffins and blueberries, but when I saw that Two Peas and Their Pod adapted this muffin recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks from before I was gluten free, I really knew it was a must try.
Adapting this one to be gluten free really was not hard. I choose to use a few of my favorite gluten free flours and it turned out great the first time I tried it.
My kids loved these and they made a great treat for breakfast.
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the rice flours, cornstarch, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl mix together buttermilk, melted butter, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Whisk until blended.
- Add dry ingredients to the buttermilk egg mixture and stir just until combined.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Divide evenly in muffin cups. (I got 16 muffins.)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are light golden brown.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.