Gluten free chocolate chip cookies were one of the things I knew I must figure out how to make.
I love cookies. I love to bake them and I love to eat them.
Cookies were one of my favorite things to make and experiment with before going gluten free.
Gluten free cookies however have been a bit challenging. I have tried recipes that were in gluten free cookbooks and I have tried adapting my own recipes. Over and over again I was unhappy with the results.
The cookies were all okay and were ones that we could eat, but none were great. I was looking for a really good gluten free cookie.
I was looking for a recipe that was very close to the cookies I used to make. I didn’t want just a cookie, I wanted a really good gluten free cookie, and after almost a year of trying I finally have a really good gluten free chocolate chip cookie. Or at least on the my family thinks is very good.
These cookies are very close to the texture of bakery style cookies. They are a big, gourmet style, chocolate chip cookie. These did not spread like I have found that most gluten free cookies do.
The ingredient that I think finally made these work was the sweet rice flour. Once I added it to the recipe I achieved the taste and texture that I was looking for.
When my husband came home from work and saw these he said, “You made real cookies.” After he tasted them he really could not believe that they were gluten free.
- 1 1/4 cups white rice flour
- ½ cup +2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ – 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325. In a bowl mix the first six ingredients and set them aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars until well blended. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients, until blended.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Scoop in ¼ c. balls onto cookie sheet. I use an ice cream scoop. Place 6 on each cookie sheet. You should only place 6 per sheet because these are large cookies and they spread out.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.