It is no secret that I love chocolate and chocolate cake is one of those things that missed the most when I first went gluten free.
Doesn’t everyone need a good piece of chocolate cake every once in awhile?
I was not the only one in my family that missed chocolate cake. My ten year old daughter has had it on her wish list of gluten free things for me to make for a while. I have made a few gluten free chocolate cakes, but they really have not been that great.
This cake was different though. I took one bite of this cake and instantly loved it. I can say this is one of the best desserts that I have made since going gluten free. It was that good.
It is no secret that I love the science behind food and baking. It has been a slow process, but I am learning some of the science behind gluten free flours and how they work.
Although I still have an occasional gluten free disasters in the kitchen, I am getting better at figuring out what recipes have a better potential of being adapted to gluten free.
I recently had one of those days where I needed to bake. Baking is what I do to relieve stress, and I knew spending time in the kitchen was what I needed this particular day.
I pulled out some cookbooks from my bookshelf and looked at quite a few different cake recipes. The one I kept going back to was the chocolate sheet cake from a Pioneer Woman cookbook. This cake just looked like it would adapt well to being gluten free.
I have to say though once you adapt most recipes to gluten free you have made so many changes that it really does not resemble the original recipe, but that is the recipe I started with.
This would be a perfect cake for the holidays. You could easily take this to a holiday dinner and no one would know that it was gluten free. This looks and tastes just like a normal chocolate sheet cake would.
Gluten Free Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 14 tablespoons butter ( 1 3/4 sticks)
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl combine rice flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan melt butter and add cocoa. Stir well.
- Add boiling water to cocoa mixture and boil for 30 seconds. Take off the heat and pour over flour mixture.
- Stir together.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture.
- Spread onto a 10×15 type sheet cake pan that has been greased.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- While the cake is baking melt butter in a pan.
- Add cocoa and combine well.
- Remove from heat and add milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Mix well until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour over warm cake.
- Let cool and enjoy!