Last week I mentioned that I plan to share a weekly gluten free dinner idea with you. For this week’s recipe I am sharing a simple white chili. Gluten free white chili is a simple gluten free dinner that is perfect for this time of year.
I love chili this time of year. A big bowl of chili at the end of a cold winter day is one of my favorite meals. Lately though I have been changing it up a little and making different versions of chili.
My family loves white chili with chicken, but I recently changed it up by using sausage instead of chicken and adding spinach to it. The sausage gave it great flavor, and the spinach made it more soup like than chili like. Although since this is based on my favorite white chili recipe, I decided to stick with chili for the name.
And I will admit that this is not the prettiest of dinners. Adding spinach to a recipe is a sure way to make it hard to photograph, but this recipe is so good that I decided to just go with it and post it with less than perfect photos.
My kids sprinkled some shredded cheese on this and ate it with tortilla chips. I think it is good just like it is. And if your family is picky when it comes to spinach, you can chop it smaller than I did. I just basically tore it into pieces. You can also skip the spinach altogether if you want. Any way you make it, it will be delicious!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground sausage- I use breakfast sausage read labels to be sure it is gluten free
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cans gluten free chicken broth or homemade
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3- 15 ounce cans northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2- 4 ounce cans green chilies
- 4 cups fresh spinach, torn into pieces
- In a pan cook sausage and onion until sausage is brown and onion is tender.
- Place meat and remaining ingredients, except spinach, in crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving stir in fresh spinach. Place lid back on crock pot and finish cooking.
If you are gluten free be sure to read labels to make sure the ingredients are gluten free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1046mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 15gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.