I love homemade pudding. It has always been one of my favorite desserts.
I make homemade chocolate pudding and homemade lemon pudding often, but homemade butterscotch pudding is one pudding that I have never been able to get quite right. It just wasn’t butterscotch enough.
They were good, but they were more of an old fashioned flavored butterscotch. Yes, I will admit that what I was looking for was the “fake” butterscotch flavor that so many of us love.
I wanted it to taste like the kind of pudding you get in a box. Well, maybe not exactly like the pudding you get in a box, because I don’t like pudding mixes, but I wanted something with the same basic butterscotch flavor.
After years of trying I finally got it.
This homemade version of butterscotch pudding is so good. It actually tastes like butterscotch.
A few weeks ago when I posted on my Facebook page that I finally came up with a homemade butterscotch pudding that actually tasted like butterscotch, several of you asked for the recipe, so here it is. I am sorry it took so long to get it posted.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips (If you are gluten free be sure to check the ingredients not all are gf)
- In a pan combine sugar and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in milk and cook over medium heat until thickened slightly.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and add about ½ cup of hot milk, cornstarch, mixture. Whisk together well. You are tempering the eggs here.
- Add egg mixture back into the remaining milk mixture. Add salt and continue cooking over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butterscotch chips and until chips are melted.
- Strain pudding through a fine mesh strainer to remove lumps.
- Serve warm or cold.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 0gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.