It is no secret that my family loves Panera Bread and their soups. Several years ago I was determined to recreate their soups at home. I knew I could feed my whole family homemade soup, for less than the cost of one bowl at Panera, and not only that it would far healthier.
I knew it might take some work to recreate these soups at home, but I was pretty sure I could make something that was close to the real thing.
I recently decided to tackle an at home version of their tomato soup. I am so glad that I decided to try this one. We love the version I came up with.
I really wish I would have tried this one a long time ago. This was so easy and so good. Not only that this is a really frugal meal to serve. You can easily add bread and a salad and have a meal that everyone will enjoy.
I have had several readers ask me if I had a version of Panera’s tomato soup and I can finally say I do. And I think it is very close to the real thing.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of chicken broth or stock
- 4- 14 ounce cans of tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese, this is the real stuff, not the stuff from a can
- ¼ cup asiago cheese, shredded or use an Italian cheese blend
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a large pot heat olive oil and add onion. Reduce temperature and cook onions, stirring often until lightly browned and caramelized. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully puree the mixture in a blender or use an immersion blender. (I prefer the immersion blender, because hot liquid and blenders do not always mix well.)
- Return to heat and add asiago cheese and stir until melted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bread and enjoy!
If you are gluten-free be sure to read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 1582mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.