The last few times that I have posted homemade pudding recipes I have had requests for a homemade vanilla pudding.
Homemade vanilla pudding is a classic pudding recipe. It is one of the easiest homemade puddings to make and it is so versatile.
What I love about homemade puddings is that they contain everyday ingredients. I almost always have on hand the ingredients that I need to make it, and vanilla pudding is the most versatile to make because you can use it in so many different ways.
We often eat this plain, but we also love it served with fruit.
I recently put together a video on how to make homemade pudding, for those that have never made it before. I also share a few tips for making pudding in the video that you may enjoy.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream (You can use all milk, but I like to use at least part cream for the liquid)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Combine sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Whisk in cream, milk, and egg yolks, Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter. Whisk until butter is melted.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Cover with plastic wrap for storage. To prevent a skin or film from forming be sure to place plastic wrap up against the pudding, not just over the top of the bowl.
- Serve warm or cold.
- My kids like to eat this plain, but I like it served with raspberries or blueberries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 126mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.