I hope you all had a nice holiday weekend and were able to spend some time with family and friends. I enjoyed a nice break and spent most of the weekend offline.
Today for Slow Cooker Monday I am sharing a simple slow cooked roast beef sandwich that is full of flavor. The meat filling for this can actually be eaten alone, but we loved it served as sandwiches. I love serving sandwiches during the summer because they are simple and more a light meal than we often have in cooler weather.
I served this with sweet potato fries, recipe coming soon for those, but you could easily serve this with a nice side salad or melon during the summer.
- 3 to 4 lb beef chuck or rump roast
- 1 package onion soup mix or use homemade onion soup mix see note below
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 can beef broth
- 12 ounce of beer- I used a gluten free beer
- Rolls or Buns for serving
- Place roast in the slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over roast.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender and shreds easily.
- Remove meat from the slow cooker and shred meat.
- Pour some cooking liquid on top of the meat. Just enough to moisten it, but not overly wet.
- Serve on buns and use some of the liquid for the Au Jus/dipping sauce.
- Serve each sandwich with a small bowl of cooking liquid to dip the sandwich in.
My favorite homemade onion soup mix
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1120Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 546mgSodium: 689mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 180g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.