Slow Cooked Pepper Steak is a simple inexpensive slow cooker meal.
Slow Cooked Pepper Steak is a recipe I have been making for almost twenty years and I can’t believe I have never shared it with you all.
The lack of a good picture might have been part of the reason. Meat cooked all day in the slow cooker, may not be pretty, but it sure is good!
My sisters and I found this recipe in a magazine years ago. I wrote it down on a recipe card before I was even married and I have been making it ever since.
This is one of those recipes that is simple to make and uses everyday ingredients. And since it cooks all day in the slow cooker, it is perfect for those cheaper cuts of meat that are a little tougher, because after cooking all day the meat will fall apart and be delicious.
I can’t even begin to count how many times I have made this over the years. It is so easy and so good!
And does anyone else miss handwritten recipe cards?
In this internet computer world recipe cards are becoming a thing of the past. I still love them though. There is just something about handwritten recipes that just can’t compare to one on a computer screen.
It always seems that handwritten ones tell more of a story. Of course, maybe the fact that I am partial to recipe cards means I am getting old, or at least it is probably a sign of my age. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?
- 2 pounds round steak
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- cooked rice or noodles for serving
- Cut beef into strips.
- Heat oil in pan and brown beef strips.
- Place browned meat into slow cooker. Combine the soy sauce, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, ginger, and tomatoes, and pour over meat.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Add peppers and cook for 1 hour. ( You can also add pepper with the rest of the ingredients, but the texture will be different because they will have cooked all day. I do it both ways depending on the time I will have when serving it.)
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water and add to slow cooker. Cook on high until slightly thickened. This will take 30 minutes or so.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
For a gluten-free version use gluten-free soy sauce and read labels to be sure that the other ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 679mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g
Nutritional values are approxomite and aren't always accurate.