Slow Cooked Southwest Chipotle Chili Chicken Soup is a simple soup perfect for fall and winter!
Soup is just about the perfect meal this time of year and I love sharing new recipes for it.
A few years ago I did a series called Souper Monday. Every Monday I posted a new soup recipe. I loved that series and it was very popular. So many people love soup. It is a great simple, budget-friendly meal to make.
I don’t have plans to bring that series back, but my family loves soup and I make it at least once a week this time of year.
So, I have been having fun experimenting with new recipes and plan to share quite a few soup recipes over the next couple of months.
Today’s recipe is for a simple soup full of flavor. It is similar to a chicken taco soup or a southwest chicken soup, but for this recipe I used chipotle chili powder. It gives it so much flavor. It is delicious!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2- 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 – 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 -15 ounce can corn, drained
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (regular chili powder will work, but chipotle gives it a different flavor)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Place all ingredients into a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Stir to combine well.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and cut into chunks or shred. You can also do this in the slow cooker, but it is easier to remove it from the soup to do it.
- Place cut up chicken back in slow cooker.
- Serve with cheese, avocado, sour cream, chips, or other desired toppings.
If you are gluten-free be sure to read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 813mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 42g
Nutritional values are approxomite and aren't always accurate.