This is the best strawberry pie, at least my family thinks so. It is really good. I have never made a strawberry pie before. I have had strawberry pie at a restaurant and always enjoyed it, but I never thought I could create the same thing at home.
I recently saw a recipe in Cook Country magazine for diner style strawberry pie that looked really easy and really good. So, I gave it a try. It was so good. I will be making this again soon. It will make a great summertime dessert. My whole family enjoyed this. I told my sister about the recipe and she made it for my mom for mother’s day and they all loved it. It is really good. If you like strawberries, I think you will love this pie.
This recipe has a couple of tricks that I think make it work. One is that it contains both frozen and fresh strawberries. The other is the amount of gelatin it has in it. It is 1 tablespoon which is a little more than one package of Knox gelatin. But it is worth is to do these steps.
I hope you enjoy.
- 2 pounds of frozen strawberries ( I let mine sit out for about 30 minutes before cooking)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound of fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced thin)
- 1 9 inch pie shell baked and cooled
- Cook frozen berries in a large pan over med-low heat until they start to release juice about 3-5 minutes.
- Then turn heat to med-high. Cook stirring very frequently until thick and cooked down. It will have the consistency of jam.
- This will take about 25 minutes. When this is cooked down you want it to measure 2 cups. If it measures more than that cook down a little more or use only 2 cups for recipe.
- Combine lemon juice, water, and gelatin in a small bowl.
- Let stand until softened and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir gelatin mixture, sugar, and salt into the 2 cups of cooked berries. Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool about 30 minutes.
- Then fold in fresh berries and pour into cooked pie shell.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set. Top with whipping cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.