Over the years I have made quite a few different versions of taco soup, but it was not until recently that I made it with pasta in it. And now I am wondering why I never tried it before now.
Today’s recipe for taco twist soup comes from the cookbook Taste of Home’s Big Book of Soup. (It looks like this book is out of print, but you can still find used copies for a great price.) I have mentioned before how much I love Taste of Home and how in many ways they taught me how to cook. I have many of their old cookbooks and magazine and I love them all.
This Big Book of Soups cookbooks has a large variety of soups. And most of them contain everyday ingredients, which is why I love Taste Of Home’s recipes so much. I picked up this cookbook a few years ago when Taste of Home was having a big $5 cookbook sale because it was such a great price.
I really liked the book when I got it, but soon realized that many of the recipes were in cookbooks I already had from Taste of Home. That does not make this a bad cookbook, it is still a great cookbook, but if you have been getting Taste of Home as long as I have, or have very many of their cookbooks, a lot of these recipes will be ones you have seen before.
If you are newer to Taste of Home or newer to cooking, this book is a great cookbook because the recipes are simple to make and use basic ingredients.
Does anyone else have this cookbook?
Now for the recipe. And there is one thing I changed on this recipe. I did not realize until the day I went to make it, that it did not contain meat. My family is a meat loving family and I knew I would hear some complaints if I served a taco soup without meat. So even though this had pasta in it, which would have made it plenty filling, I added a pound of ground beef to it. So, I wrote the recipe with the beef added, if you want to make it less expensive to make or a little healthier, feel free to leave out the ground beef.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 cups beef broth- or use water and beef boullion
- 1- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup uncooked spiral pasta or gluten free pasta for gf version
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound ground beef
- shredded cheese, sour cream, etc. for serving
- In a large pan cook ground beef, green pepper, and onion until beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain off any fat.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, beans, tomatoes, salsa, pasta, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream, etc.
For gluten-free version use gluten-free pasta and read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 1152mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.