Potatoes and sausage is one of the most popular quick and easy dinner recipes on my site. It has two ingredients. You can’t get much more simple than that. You all love it and so does my family. It is a regular on our menu so often because of how easy it is.
In our house we like to serve it with fried eggs for a breakfast for dinner type of meal. Several readers have shared their versions of this basic idea and I knew I had to give some of them a try.
A few of you have mentioned that you love to use sweet potatoes in place of all, or part of, the regular potatoes. I love that idea because it changes it up, but still keeps it a very simple meal. One reader also mentioned that she added a little maple syrup to her potatoes and sausage and I loved that idea as well.
I recently decided to change up the basic potatoes and sausage by adding both sweet potatoes and maple syrup to it and it was delicious. Mixing regular potatoes and sweet potatoes worked great. It gave it a little extra flavor that we loved.
And the maple syrup, well that was delicious too. It added a sweetness and a caramelization that my family really enjoyed.
Potatoes and sausage is often on our menu plan, so I am glad to have a new way to change it up a little. Maple sweet potatoes and sausage will be on the menu plan often as well.
I would love to hear how you have taken this basic dish of sausage and potatoes and changed it up for your family.
- 1 ½ pounds of sausage, uncooked sliced into chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, the real stuff
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Toss potatoes, sausage, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup together.
- Place in a 9x13 pan and ake at 375 for 45-55 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sausage is done.
- Drizzle with remaining maple syrup.
- Salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you are gluten free be sure to read labels to make sure that your sausage is gluten free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 593Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 1041mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 6gSugar: 18gProtein: 19g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.