This soup is really good. It is a great comfort food. I first had this several years ago when a friend from church brought it to me when I was sick. (Thanks Darlene) I have loved it ever since then. It is a nice hearty fall and winter soup.
I like the flavor and texture that wild rice gives this recipe. My husband however, says that he does not like to eat grass, so he does not like wild rice. I can’t convince him that wild rice is not like eating grass. He says he just does not like the texture of it. Even though I like it with wild rice, I usually adjust it so that he will enjoy it. I like to use brown rice or a mix of brown and wild rice. You can also use regular rice but in my opinion brown or wild gives it the best flavor. This recipe is a good way to use up leftover cooked rice.
I also think this would be good with leftover turkey. I may try it that way this week.
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery ( I leave this out, I don't like celery)
- 1 cup shredded carrots ( I chop mine finely)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup additional chicken broth or water
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, melt butter. stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in broth mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in soup and broth or water.
- Add rice and chicken; heat through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 813mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.