This recipe is a recipe I found in Paula Deen’s magazine. By the way, have I mentioned that I love her magazine. I know I have mentioned that several times, but it really is becoming my new favorite magazine.
I did not change this recipe at all. Usually I tweak and change recipe, but this one was so simple that I made it just like Paula (or her magazine) said.
It is simple to make and yet really good. This is a great lunch or a quick dinner. Serve this with quesadillas or chips and you have a really easy yet filling meal.
I think this will be on our menu a lot this fall and winter.
Black Bean Soup
- 4-5 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (15.25 ounce) cans of black beans drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth ( If you are gluten free be sure your chicken broth is gf)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Sour cream and cheddar cheese for serving
- Cook bacon over med-high heat for 3 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
- Add beans, broth, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon ½ of the mixture into a blender and process until smooth, but be careful when using a blender with really hot food. ( I used my immersion blender).
- Return mixture to pan and combine with the other ½ of the soup.
- Mix well and serve. Serve this with sour cream and cheese if desired.
My husband ate some of this leftover for lunch the next day and he said it was still very good. But he did say that it was very thick, more like refried beans would be.